Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Customer Service...What's that?

I recently replaced my sneakers with a top of the line pair of running shoes from Reebok that cost me 8000 rupees. I started using it on my daily run and on the first day, noticed a pain in my left leg. I attributed it to running-in difficulty and thought it would go away after a couple of days. But it only got worse on the second day. When I inspected it closely, I found that the seam where the flap under the lace was joined to the shoe was not proper in the left shoe and was pressing onto my foot causing the pain. So, I took it to the shop where they acknowledged the problem and said that they would replace it in a day or two. So far so good.

I gave them an extra day and went three days later, expecting to pick up the replacement. They said that the approval for the claim had still not come and may take a few days more. I blew my top and told them that if it wasn’t done the next day, I will place a hold on the payment through my credit card company. That seemed to help matters, as I got a call the next day stating that the claim was approved. But, when I went there, I was told that they did not have another piece in stock. I gave them another extra day before I went back. They had got the shoe but they found a similar problem in it. I had enough and demanded my money back, but there was no refund. I had shortlisted a second pair initially, but even that was not available in my size. Finally, I settled for another model that cost me 6500 rupees. Wherein, I was told that they could not return the balance and I would need to purchase something. I finally ended up with a couple of t-shirts that I didn’t really need and paid an extra 400 rupees to those idiots.

I was trying to think of how the experience would have been in countries where the customer is truly king:

  • I would have been able to return it anytime without any reason (defective or not)
  • I would have been given a replacement on the spot or my money back
  • They would have paid me the difference in cost and not forced me to buy something else

- To add insult to injury, I would have paid less than half the cost. Yes, the same shoe is available for 70-80$ in the US through amazon.com

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This car body type hatchback . Available colors :
Gala Red
Noble Blue,
Arctic Siler,
Cavern Grey,
Solar Orange,
Marine Silver
Infinity Black.
wheel is a auto parts company.
Car Wheel

Shantanu said...

I hope you are buying your show according to your feet's pronation, and not just going by the price. Well Reebok doesnt have many good running shoes, I would say Adidas has better ones, Nike ones available in India are not worth for the price u pay.

Try Asics, you would love them

Shahana Shafiuddin said...

I really surprise to hear this situation. So, we can't trust brand shoes also!